Maker Technology Interest Group – May 2024 Report

What is the name of your interest group? Maker Technology Interest Group
Your Name Leanne Nay
Your Email lnay@indiana.edu
Please select the name of the section your group belongs to (if applicable) Technology
Which report are you submitting? May
How many times did your group meet or hold an activity during this reporting period? 0
First Activity n/a
Second Activity
Third Activity
Fourth Activity
Fifth Activity
What will your group be working on for the next 6 months? We will host another round of virtual makerspace tours and also consider partnerships with the Nation of Makers group.
How did your work contribute to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, or belonging within Core or the library profession? What areas of improvement do you see for your IG or Core in these areas? n/a
Is there anything Core could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its activities?
Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s discussions or work.
Please describe anything you need to bring to the Core Board for discussion or action at their next meeting.
Please share any additional comments, concerns, or suggestions you have.
Today’s Date 05/20/2024

Diversity and Inclusion Committee – December 2024 Report



The group met 4-6 times this quarter.

Committee Work

Summary of work accomplished, decisions made, and follow-up actions determined during the past 6 months

We have been working to restructure our charge to better fit current needs, capacities, and reflect what the members and board want and need us to pursue.

Progress on Goal Assigned in the Strategic Plan

We did help on the updating of the Strategic plan and committee members should be tapped to participate in the future as well.


Progress on Deliverables

  • Current & Ongoing: Review Committee Chair Reports
    • Specific: Reviewing reports  in order to identify trends, gaps, barriers, etc 
    • Time: starting in Feb-April
  • Current & Ongoing: Make a report for the Core Board
    • Specific: Chair shared data from past survey about membership needs and trends
    • Time: 1 report in the Summer
  • Current: Connections with other Core Groups
    • Specific: Correspond with Advocacy Committee and the Access & Equity Section to build communication lines and support 
    • informally have reached out
    • Time: 3 months
  • Current: Guidance on conference location selections
    • Specific: Follow up on connection with Advocacy Committee 
    • Time: 6 months


Progress on Ongoing Work

  • Review Committee Annual Reports
    • reports identified and determining best way to review
  • Identify Member needs related to EDI topics
  • DEI directory Sustainability
    • will create a working group to pursue
  • Committee member(s) on the Core Strategic Plan working group to ensure DEIA is incorporated at all levels
    • Member participated in current update
  • Develop EDI related best practices for Core activities
    • working with Advocacy committee to bring one to the board

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?

  • Current & Ongoing: Review Committee Chair Reports
    • Specific: Review reports ….additional needs in order to identify trends, gaps, barriers, etc in the future
    • Measurable: EDI Trends and programming/projects identified in a document
    • Attainable: Chair has access to those submissions
    • Realistic: whole committee can contribute
    • Time: 2 months
  • Current & Ongoing: Make a report for the Core Board
    • Specific: Using data gathered from Committee Chair Reports & member surveys to identify wants/needs/gaps/barriers/challenges and present them to the Board and other Stakeholders (committee chair and section meetings). This also includes sharing topics of interest to IGs and Committees to encourage programming
    • Measurable: Create 2 reports per year & present to the Core Board and a section level meeting
    • Attainable: Amber can get Committee members/working group access to the committee form submissions
    • Realistic: Current chair is on Board and can present
    • Time: 1 report in the Spring & 1 report in the Summer/Fall
  • Current: Connections with other Core Groups
    • Specific: Correspond with Advocacy Committee and the Access & Equity Section to build communication lines and support
    • Measurable: Send message via ALA Connect to Advocacy Committee and the Access & Equity Section
    • Attainable: ALA Connect is available to all ALA members
    • Realistic: We have contact info 
    • Time: 3 months
  • Current: Guidance on conference location selections
    • Specific: Follow up on connection with Advocacy Committee 
    • Measurable: present recommendations to the board in spring
    • Attainable: Document is made and Advocacy Committee chair Identified 
    • Realistic: doc created and Advocacy chair is in contact
    • Time: 6 months
  • Current: Review DEI directory & create sustainability plan
    • Specific: check links in Directory and develop and workflow to ensure committee can review and keep directory usable and useful for members
    • Measurable: Documented sustainability plan 
    • Attainable: Directory is accessible and use data has been shared
    • Realistic: needs a working group
    • Time: 6 months

Meets Core’s strategic goals for Evaluate and Adjust Core’s Structure, Membership and Value to Members, Not Applicable/Operational

How did your work contribute to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, or belonging within Core or the library profession? What areas of improvement do you see for your committee or Core in these areas?

We have redesigned our charge based on committee feedback so as to not overwhelm committee or potential members and have streamlined current processes so committee only need to submit the standard report instead of having a separate report submitted to the D&I Committee


Submitted by Cara Calabrese on 02/19/2024

Leadership and Management Leadership Team – December 2023 Report


The group met 6+ times this quarter.

Activities

Summary of work accomplished, decisions made, and follow-up actions determined during the past 6 months

The team has been focused on getting the Section organized and focused, and identifying priorities. In order to do this, we’ve taken and evidence-based approach and spend recent months collecting data from a variety of sources. We surveyed our L&M members, held “kitchen table conversations” at Core Forum, and spoke with previous LLAMA members about their experiences and perspectives.

Progress on Goal Assigned in the Strategic Plan

Section Leadership Teams are responsible for this strategic goal: “Focus on section-level membership and relationship-building.” Our work has been specifically focused on finding out what our members want so that we can structure the Section to provide it.


Progress on Deliverables
{Progress on Deliverables:60}

Progress on Ongoing Work

We will update to the new charge template this spring, which will include Ongoing Work items.

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
Appoint volunteers to committees, and identify / create new committees based on L&M member interest.

Identify / create new interest groups based on L&M member interest.

Review Core Forum proposals.

Update Leadership Team charge.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Evaluate and Adjust Core’s Structure, Membership and Value to Members

How did your work contribute to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, or belonging within Core or the library profession? What areas of improvement do you see for your committee or Core in these areas?Our work has mostly been focused on listening and gathering feedback. We have been mindful about collecting this data from a variety of sources, in order to include a diversity of perspectives. Once we are in a position to set a course for the Section, we will have opportunities to purposely engage with these principles.


Submitted by Amanda Click on 01/04/2024

Bylaws and Organization Committee – December 2023 Report



The group met 4-6 times this quarter.

Committee Work

Summary of work accomplished, decisions made, and follow-up actions determined during the past 6 months

In the past six months, the Bylaws and Organization Committee focused on completing the amendments to the Core bylaws and delivered the recommended changes to the Board of Directors.

Progress on Goal Assigned in the Strategic Plan

We were largely focused on the bylaws in 2023, but we intend to shift our focus to the committee and leadership liaison structure in the new year.


Progress on Deliverables

  • Proposed changes to the bylaws
    • Changes were proposed in December 2023
  • Proposed changes to the organizational structure
    • This was focused on the bylaw changes.
  • Should include review and changes to the Core Handbook
    • No new changes as of this year. I am working with the web committee to get access to the handbook for editing purposes.


Progress on Ongoing Work

n/a

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?

We will be focused on the strategic plan with a goal of reviewing and recommending changes as needed for the committee and leadership liaison structure by the end of June, 2024.

Meets Core’s strategic goals for Evaluate and Adjust Core’s Structure

How did your work contribute to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, or belonging within Core or the library profession? What areas of improvement do you see for your committee or Core in these areas?

Our efforts have been mostly focused on the bylaws. I hope that adding clarity to the bylaws increases the accessibility of the organization. I do think that there needs to be a more intentional plan to have committee membership that reflects the diversity of our country. I think there will be more for this committee to focus on in the work of 2024 focused on committee and leadership liaison structure.

Is there anything Core could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
n/a

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
n/a

Submitted by Donald Allgeier on 01/02/2024

Preservation Standards and Practices Committee – December 2023 Report

Part of the Preservation Section

The group met 1 time this quarter.

Committee Work

Summary of work accomplished, decisions made, and follow-up actions determined during the past 6 months

With the new Preservation section created under Core, our committee has entered a period of flux in determining the direction we should take moving forward. Additionally, most committee members rotated off in July and it took a few months to recruit 4 new members.
The committee met in November to discuss the Preservation Statistics Survey’s future; updates to both the Shared Print Actions Terminology draft and the Preservation & Digitization Actions Terminology document (created in 2004); and a preservation directory. All activities are being discussed and explored as of yet with no decisions made.


Progress on Deliverables

  • Oversees the creation and dissemination of the Preservation Statistics Survey: Members began discussion on the future of the statistics survey and its usefulness, including seeking feedback from outside colleagues and previous survey respondents.


Progress on Ongoing Work

  • Identifies and reviews relevant information regarding standards, recommended practices, and technical reports: Our committee is investigating supplying missing preservation definitions in the Shared Print Actions Terminology draft and updating the 2004 Preservation & Digitization Actions Terminology document. We also introduced the need for a preservation directory to our discussions.

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?

We will seek input from preservation colleagues and past survey responders to determine the usefulness of the current iteration of the Preservation Statistics survey. Committee members will discuss these results before March and make our recommendation to the Preservation section leadership on the future of the survey before June.
In the early months of 2024, our committee will discuss internally the need for a preservation directory and propose the project to Preservation leadership accordingly by April.
In the first two months of 2024, our committee will determine from Preservation leadership if there are partners (outside our committee) with which we need to collaborate when defining the missing preservation definitions in the Shared Print Actions Terminology draft and Preservation & Digitization Actions (PDA) Terminology document. If any partners are identified, we will discuss with Preservation leadership and such partners if the PDA document needs to be updated as a whole, considering it was created 20 years ago.

Meets Core’s strategic goals for Evaluate and Adjust Core’s Structure, Membership and Value to Members

How did your work contribute to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, or belonging within Core or the library profession? What areas of improvement do you see for your committee or Core in these areas?

The committee feels that many departments and individuals performing preservation duties are not included in the Preservation Statistics Survey collection for a variety of reasons. We are likely unaware of the existence of these colleagues and groups within our field. It is possible that the creation of a preservation directory may identify these colleagues and make including them within CORE and the profession more achievable.


Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
–Our group could add to the Shared Print Actions Terminology draft.
–We could develop an updated Preservation & Digitization Actions Terminology document.
–A preservation directory could be a useful resource if pursued.

Submitted by Miranda Nixon on 12/31/2023

WebServices4Lib Interest Group – December 2023 Report

Part of the Technology Section

The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Met with library data/web managers to discuss their strategies for
delivering web services for the next 3-5 years. Working to provide the interview online so that others can view the interview as a podcast.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Evaluate and Adjust Core’s Structure

Second Activity
After presenting at the Stanford University Web services camp/conference, I am
beginning to plan for a new international conference leveraging Web Services, Wiki Data, and Linked Open Data with a several colleagues at the J. Paul Getty Trust and the UCLA. Planning is underway for a conference in late 2024/2005. As the co-chair, we are searching for librarians interested in presenting on LOD and Wiki Data services to expose digital collections.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Value to Members

Third Activity
Began to reach out to Library web technologies to discuss relevant topics for the ALA annual meet up.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Value to Members

Fourth Activity
Started to reach out to the ALA Core mentors to seek advice on improving participation on the WebServices4Lib Interest Group topics. We have established quarterly meetings and check ins on relevant topics.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Career Building and Recognition

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
Planning is underway to meet up at the ALA conference in San Diego California in 2024.

Is there anything Core could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
We would like incentives (perhaps discounts to ALA) for members that present and/or lead discussions on related committee topics. Is this possible?

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
Build out a portal page of resources for Library web services on the ALA interest group web site that allows for discussion after presentation. I received many emails and it would be great to build a FAQ re: these discussions to a centralized server.

Additional comments or concerns:
I am committing to continue this one more year but would like assistance finding a co-chair for the interest group.

Submitted by Christophe Cabrera Thompson on 12/29/2023

Technology Leadership Team – December 2023 Report

The group met 6+ times this quarter.

Activities

Summary of work accomplished, decisions made, and follow-up actions determined during the past 6 months

Most of our work during the first six months was administrative in nature as we onboarded new members, made sure our interest groups and committees were set up, and brainstormed plans/goals for the year.

Administrative activities included the following:

  • Onboarded new Leadership Team members
  • Assigned liaisons to each section interest group and committee
  • Held initial meetings with interest group and committee chairs
  • Identified a vice-chair for the Leadership Team
  • Developed the first-ever Technology Section Handbook
  • Identified a representative from the section membership to serve on the Kilgour Award Project Team

We made progress on some learning-related activities as well, including:

Sponsored the “AI and Machine Learning: Transforming the Modern Campus” webinar with presenters from AWS. 

In consultation with Core staff, released a call for submissions for webinar and classroom presenters on technology-related topics.

Progress on Assigned Goal
Membership and Value to Members – Focus on section-level membership and relationship-building

  • Sought volunteers to increase participation from the membership
  • Shared opportunities to contribute knowledge and experience through both presentations (i.e., webinars) and publications (i.e., ITAL)
  • Met with section IG chairs to coordinate efforts and share ideas for engaging members
  • Began planning to establish a Data & Analytics Interest Group

Career Building and Recognition – Survey library managers to determine where new library staff require the most initial training/support within first six months of position to determine future continuing education ideas.

  • No progress; our assumption is that a survey would be coordinated at the division level

Progress on Deliverables

  • Leadership and ongoing communication both within the section and between the section and Core leadership/other sections
  • Attended monthly section leader meetings; presented a “Section of the Month” segment
  • Annual plan for section content development and projects
  • Conducted initial planning for an annual work plan
  • Appointments to section committees as needed
  • Appointed vice chairs for the Leadership Team and Emerging Technology Trends Committee
  • Recommendations for representatives to ALA groups and/or external groups, as needed
  • Sought volunteers and appointed a section representative to the Kilgour Award Project Team
  • Drafting or modifying of charges for section committees as needed
  • None

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
Identify future committee opportunities within the section in order to increase member participation and increase membership value.
Establish one or more project teams to address member needs, including around AI and technology competencies.
Establish a new Data & Analytics Interest Group by March.
Plan and execute a virtual open house for Technology Section members in May.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Evaluate and Adjust Core’s Structure, Membership and Value to Members

How did your work contribute to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, or belonging within Core or the library profession? What areas of improvement do you see for your committee or Core in these areas?
We are working to open up more volunteer opportunities within the section by identifying project team, committee, and interest group opportunities within the section.

Improvements: Within the section, we should examine opportunities to directly advance DEIAJB efforts, perhaps focusing on areas more directly related to technology such as accessibility, privacy, and sustainability.

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
We’ve begun discussing potential project teams. One around identifying/establishing technology competencies might lead to potential professional development programming for the section to address those competencies.

Please describe anything you need to bring to the Core for discussion or action at their next meeting:
Nothing known at this time

Submitted by David Dahl on 12/29/2023

Catalog Form and Function Interest Group – December 2023 Report

Part of the Metadata & Collections Section

The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
I only became chair of this group at the end of October, and there hasn't been any activity.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Evaluate and Adjust Core’s Structure

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
I plan to hold an open discussion/brainstorming session with some suggested topics.

Is there anything Core could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
What I've wished for most is another person to bounce ideas off of. When I volunteered to chair the group, I wrongly assumed that there would be other active members. So far, there are not. I have some ideas based on the groups prior activity and statement of purpose, but I need to know from others what they'd like to see here and so far that information is not forthcoming. It might make sense to have new chairs connect with outgoing chairs for a handoff of information.

Submitted by Adrienne Sanders on 12/21/2023

Preservation Administration Interest Group – December 2023 Report

Part of the Preservation Section

The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Working with the Preservation Section of the Music Library Association to produce a panel discussion on the treatment, binding and care of music scores in academic settings. The current timeline for this program will be after Interest Group Week.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Value to Members

Second Activity
Both Kim Norman and myself have been working with the Preservation Section Leadership Team to understand the role that PAIG can have in the new section.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Evaluate and Adjust Core’s Structure

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
We will be participating in the Core Interest Group week, and should be the host of the joint MLA/ALA program in the next few months.

Is there anything Core could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Not that I am aware of

Submitted by Mark Coulbourne on 12/20/2023