Leadership Development and Mentoring Committee – May 2022 Report

Part of the Leadership & Management Section

The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Committee finalized and launched a mentoring project. Currently seeking both mentors and mentees. Committee created a survey for self identification of needs of mentees and skills or expertise of mentors to aid in creating successful pairings. Evaluative/follow up work also being created to assist in refining the process of pairing mentors with mentees. Anticipate kick of for 4th week of June with an anticipate 6 month experience for each pairing. Encouraging committee members to sign up for the project
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Continuing Education, Membership and Engagement

Second Activity
Discussed ALA emerging Leaders submission – the committee missed the deadline for this project but wants to be sure that it is engaged for next year’s submissions.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
creating a system for pairing of mentor and mentees. Establishing assessment system for mentoring program. Seeking to promote program.

Submitted by Andrea Berstler on 11/15/2022

Publisher-Vendor-Library Relations Interest Group – May 2022 Report



The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Panel presentation during Core Interest Group Week, March 2022: “Open for All: Promoting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion through Open Access Publishing
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI

Second Activity
Business meeting during ALA Annual
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Engagement

Third Activity
Discussing options for hosting a session during the next IG Week
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
Advertising and community engagement to add new members to our group
Adding a new co-chair
Planning for the next Interest Group Week

Additional comments or concerns:
The Publisher-Vendor-Library Relations Interest Group has three co-chairs:
Ajaye Bloomstone (llajaye@lsu.edu)
Ellen Amatangelo (ellen_amatangelo@byu.edu)
Megan Sullivan (megan.sullivan@cengage.com)

Please make sure that all three of us are listed and receive communications!

Submitted by Ellen Amatangelo on 08/04/2022

Cartographic Resources Cataloging Interest Group (Core/MAGIRT) – May 2022 Report

Part of the Metadata & Collections Section

The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
We met at the annual American Library Association conference in June and discussed a number of topics. One major topic included issues around diversity, equity, and inclusion as they relate specifically to cartographic materials. There was consensus that one of the best ways to bring out DEI aspects related to a map or atlas in the catalog record is to make extensive use of notes and subject headings. We also discussed outdated and problematic subject headings and how institutions are addressing this.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI

Second Activity
There was discussion about the new RDA Toolkit and how that will change cartographic cataloging and cataloging in general. Some had introductory training on use of the new Toolkit. However, it was noted that without LC-PCC policy statements and further guidance on application profiles, it had been hard to fully engage with the new Toolkit. Members are hoping there will be online trainings soon to continue educating themselves on the new RDA.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Continuing Education

Third Activity
The group discussed the tool Extent Helper being used instead of, or in conjunction with, the Klokan Bounding box to determine coordinates on a map. With Extent Helper being relatively new, and both tools potentially having a bit of a learning curve for those new to cartographic cataloging, the need to establish how and when the map community uses each tool or uses both and training on them is important to address.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Continuing Education

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
I hope we can continue discussion about the new RDA Toolkit, as that will be an important factor in keeping MAGIRT’s “Guidelines for Cataloging Cartographic Resources using RDA,” up to date. I would also like to delve deeper into issues of EDI and cartographic cataloging. I think another topic that would be good for discussion is training for new cartographic catalogers or those who have a portion of their job dedicated to cartographic cataloging. If completely unfamiliar with the cataloging of cartographic materials when entering the field, training is hugely important, and I think providing and highlighting more training tools on our website could help boost our membership and engagement in the group a great deal.

Is there anything Core could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
No

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
Delving deeper into DEI and cartographic resources

Submitted by Amy Swanson on 08/02/2022

Book and Paper Interest Group – May 2022 Report

Part of the Metadata & Collections Section

The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Deciding whether to stay in CORE, or disband.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
Deciding whether to stay in CORE or disband

Submitted by Carrie Beyer on 08/01/2022

Assessment Leadership Team – May 2022 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Quarterly meetings as our leadership team strived to balance increased institutional demands as they navigated the pandemic
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Engagement

Second Activity
Attendance at most of the monthly Core Leaders Meeting
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Engagement

Third Activity
Reviewed poster and presentation proposals for the 2022 Core Forum
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Continuing Education

Fourth Activity
Sought to increase engagement within Connect without much success. We were unable to successfully integrate members active in other social platforms in to ALA’s social platform
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Engagement

Fifth Activity
Reviewed Diversity & Inclusion Committee survey design
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Membership and Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
Undetermined

Submitted by Maurini Strub on 06/28/2022

Cataloging Asian and African Materials – May 2022 Report

Part of the Metadata & Collections Section

The group met 4-6 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Sharing updates and reports from various groups represented in the Committee: Library of Congress, OCLC, CC: DA, MELA, CONSALD, CEAL, ALC, and CORMOSEA
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Engagement

Second Activity
Following and discussing development in Romanization tables. Sharing the progress of the romanization review submitted to the Review board. Continuing to stay actively connected with committees and organizations that share common goals and objectives as CC:AAM.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Membership and Engagement

Third Activity
Organized a workshop: Libraries and Internationalization on Thursday, June 9 at 2:00pm-4:00pm EST.

The workshop will look at how standards and internationalization facilitate or impact multilingual cataloguing and how that data is exposed in discovery layers. It will provide an overview of relevant standards, cataloguing practices, and internationalization principles in web services library patrons use.

Presenter: Andrew Cunningham is a consultant specializing in internationalization and technical support for community and refugee languages. He has a long history of work in the Australian library sector including support and management of Library IT systems, web development, digital diversity, community informatics, and training. He has specialized knowledge of electronic multicultural library services, deployment of government information in community languages, and ICT enablement for minority and lesser used languages.
Andrew has been involved with internationalization issues for web standards and authored government guidelines on community language content in Government web services
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Continuing Education

Fourth Activity
Organized a Panel: Non-Latin Scripts in/and Library Linked Data: What to Expect?
Date: Thursday, June 16, 3:00-4:30 pm EST

Section1: LC BIBFRAME Project:
Opening remarks. Beacher Wiggins: Director For Acquisitions And Bibliographic Access
• Beacher Wiggins will open the session with a brief status and overview of LC’s BIBFRAME work, with emphasis on the activation of bf100 and what it portends.

• Non-Latin script in LC BIBFRAME editor: issues and updates. Sally McCallum
Sally McCallum: Chief, Network Development & MARC Standards Office in ABA

Summary: To open, a brief look back at the history of non-Latin scripts in our Latin script environment and the possibilities that opened to the community in the last 20 years. Followed by information on identification of languages and scripts in BIBFRAME, transliteration options, and ways that Marva editor is striving for to assist the cataloger.”

• Demos by a developer/trainer and a non-Latin script tester. Possible coverage of different types of scripts. Paul Frank and Elaine Kim
Elaine Kim: Librarian, Asian and Middle Eastern Division, Paul Frank: Cataloging Policy Specialist

BIBFRAME is a foundation for the future of bibliographic description, but the Library of Congress BIBFRAME Pilot is also a foundation for testing and evaluating current bibliographic cataloging policies. In this presentation, Elaine Kim and Paul Frank will highlight experimentation in the Library of Congress BIBFRAME Pilot with non-Latin script descriptions, illustrating areas where existing policies on romanization of non-Latin data may benefit from change in a linked data environment.

Section 2. LD4P Sinopia Project:
Magda Gad, Metadata Librarian for Middle East Resources, Stanford University; Nancy Lorimer, Associate Director, Metadata Services, Stanford University

The Sinopia RDF editor is an open-source editor for use by the library community developed as part of the Linked Data for Production grant series. With the input and guidance of LD4P member library non-Latin script catalogers and the LD4 Non-Latin Scripts Affinity Group, support of diacritics and non-Latin script has been continuously enhanced. Magda and Nancy will highlight recent enhancements to Sinopia, helpers we have found for entry of non-Latin scripts and transliterations of those scripts, and issues and questions that have arisen as we move toward non-Latin script production cataloging in Sinopia.

Section 3. OCLC and the SEMI Project (Shared Entity Management Infrastructure)
Charlene Morrison, Database Specialist at OCLC, Becky Dean, Product Manager at OCLC

The goal for Charlene and Becky’s program is to share some of challenges related to languages using WorldCat bibliographic and VIAF data, respectively, to create work and person entities for the SEMI (Shared Entity Management Infrastructure). They will also identify specific challenges related to scripts, and how the data sources shaped some of those decisions
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Continuing Education, Membership and Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
Organizing and archiving the committee documents, reports and resources in ALA connect

Is there anything Core could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
CC:AAM appreciates the support of Core in organizing this year's programs.

Submitted by Iman Dagher on 06/02/2022

Diversity and Inclusion Committee – May 2022 Report



The group met 4-6 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The proposal that our working group on program planning submitted for ALA Annual 2022 was accepted, and we posted a call for panelists for the program that is currently under review.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Continuing Education, Membership and Engagement

Second Activity
Our working group for developing a survey for Core’s membership received and implemented feedback from Core leadership on our draft, and is in the process of finalizing the survey for distribution. We hope to have the survey ready in June and to promote it at ALA Annual.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Membership and Engagement

Third Activity
The directory of DEI resources prepared for our directory working group was posted online, and the committee is in the process of putting together language for its promotion. We hope that this will be a valuable tool for the membership across all areas of Core.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Continuing Education, Membership and Engagement

Fourth Activity
The committee held a forum with committee chairs from across Core announcing our DEI liaison program. We are also working on follow-up, including a form with which committees can submit their identified liaisons, an FAQ to serve as documentation for DEI liaisons on their role, another forum later in the summer with the liaisons themselves who have been selected, and finalizing the reporting form that liaisons will use for their initial DEI reporting at the end of 2022.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Membership and Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
We will be transitioning to new co-chairship, as well as presenting our program at ALA Annual, distributing our survey, promoting the directory, and continuing to work on supporting the transition to the new DEI liaison model. We have also been approached by the Award & Scholarships Committee for our committee to assist with reframing existing awards to focus on efforts toward inclusion, and look forward to beginning that project as well.

Is there anything Core could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
All of our needs have been well-supported. In fact, we’ve been extremely grateful for the help we’ve received from Brooke Morris-Chott, Jenny Levine, and Maurini Strub and the rest of the Assessment Section leadership in completing our various projects.

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
Of course, we are eager to see more topics around antiracism, DEI, accessibility, and other issues of social justice, as well as contributing to these efforts. We hope very much that the results of our survey will help to inform more specific future directions.

Additional comments or concerns:
None currently, but thank you!

Submitted by Ashley Lierman on 06/01/2022

Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee – May 2022 Report

Part of the Metadata & Collections Section

The group met 4-6 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
CRCC update forum
o First virtual one was held February 24, 2022.
o We had 255 registrants, and 158 attended.
o The meeting was recorded and all registrants received the link to the recording.
o This replicates the in-person forum held at previous ALA Midwinter and Annual meetings on Mondays, the last day of the conference for many.
o It included updates from major centers for continuing resources work
 CONSER
 U.S. ISSN Center
 NACO, including series, but which focused on the new RDA toolkit.
 Directory of Open Access Journals
o It was endorsed by Core and advertised in various venues.
o Feedback indicate that twice a year would be the preferable frequency, replicating that of the in-person ALA Conference meeting.
o We are planning the 2nd one for September of 2022.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Continuing Education, Membership and Engagement

Second Activity
Core Forum program proposals
o We submitted two program proposals for this forum.
o One focused on diachronic works with Ed Jones as the speaker; the other one focused on cataloging continuing resources in Sinopia, with Tina Shrader as the speaker.
o Neither speaker would be attending in-person, which is a requirement for Core Forum programs, which ended our pursuit in this endeavor. This we have found is a major problem in this transition period to in-person meetings: getting all participants, including speakers and committee members, to attend in-person makes planning extremely difficult. We hope this will change if in-person meetings becomes the norm again.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Continuing Education, Membership and Engagement

Third Activity
CRCC membership
o The chair requested two new members. At the writing of this, we are still waiting to hear about the 2nd new member (see below for roster)
o We are a little concerned that most of us will be cycling of in 2023, so I am hoping that one of our current members can serve beyond 2023 for continuity’s sake.
Roster:
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Continuing Education, Membership and Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
We are planning the next CRCC update forum which we think will take place sometime in September.
We will submit ALA/Core program proposals.

Submitted by Peter V Fletcher on 06/01/2022

Access and Equity Leadership Team – May 2022 Report


The group met 4-5 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Collaborated with Technology Leadership Team members to develop Committee Charge for Digital Accessibility and Usability Committee.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI

Second Activity
Developed Leadership Team documentation including refined Leadership Team Charge, Section Description, and Leadership Profile.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Engagement

Third Activity
Participated in Core Volunteer Fair, appointed new members to Leadership Team, and developed strategies for increasing engagement and development of Interest Groups.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
Succession planning, as several Leadership Team members will be rolling off and several new members will be joining. Deploying strategies for increasing engagement with the section including "seeding" interest groups, and further refining the role of the Section within the Division.

Submitted by Rachel Fleming on 06/01/2022

Publications Coordination Committee – May 2022 Report



The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Journal platform task force composed of Jane Monson, Ken Varnum, LRTS editors and Elizabeth Nelson to review possible platform for CORE journals.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Membership and Engagement

Second Activity
Royalties for authors. Kerry Ward asking ALA Editions for 10% royalty fee to be split between the author and Core. Will discuss and finalize at ALA Annual.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Membership and Engagement

Third Activity
Next CPCC Office Hours are planned for mid-July. Ken Varnum is Coordinating.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Continuing Education, Membership and Engagement

Fourth Activity
The committee discussed implementing a mentoring program for potential authors and decided to instead reach out to the Leadership Development and Mentoring Committee about mentoring authors. We may establish a liaison with the Leadership Development Committee.
Meets Core’s strategic goals for Advocacy and EDI, Continuing Education, Membership and Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next 6 months?
Transitioning leadership as new Chair begins July. Soliciting proposals for monographs. Confirming royalties for authors. Hosing publishing office hours. Establishing a relationship and possible liaison with the Leadership Development and Mentoring Committee.

Is there anything Core could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Core has been wonderful and very helpful. Having the google drive space is perfect. It may be helpful to consider having the Chair of the Publications Coordination Committee as a member of the Executive Board.

Submitted by Susan Thomas on 05/31/2022